Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Another Great Night, An Unexpected Guest, Maybe the Funniest Thing I've Ever Seen and Definitely The Sweetist Thing I've Ever Heard

Wednesday, July 25 6:00 am

We had another great night last night. Both girls are still asleep. Maia went to sleep around 8:00 pm and Ilona around 10:00 pm. Maia has slept straight through and we woke Ilona up once to give her medicine (she was very insulted but went right back to sleep).

Have I mentioned the restaurant here at the hotel, Ciao Cafe? The first couple of days we went there for breakfast where they gave us a pretty basic menu. I asked if they did room service and they said they did. I don't think they offer it up normally but they are very accomodating. I asked if they had a menu to give me and they found something and handed it to me. When I got a chance to look at it the menu was great, alot of variety.

The last few meals we've had brought in, just because Ilona was feeling sick and we were a little tired. The food is amazing. I had the best red curry I've ever had for breakfast yesterday and for dinner I had the best satay I ever had. Dinners for the three of us are costing around $9. I wish I could live in a place like this. Anyway, the people here in Vietnam are really great and love love love the babies. Last night our dinner delivery guy, who we had seen before, came rushing in the room with our dinners, quickly dumped them on the counter shouting "beebees? beebees?" All he wanted to do was see the girls. He plopped himself down on the blanket on the floor and proceeded to stay for quite some time to play with Maia and Ilona. "I love beebees!" It was a while before we decided to go ahead and eat even though he was still there admiring the girls. We weren't sure of the ettiquette never having had a delivery person come on in and stay.


*** Warning, Disgusting Material Below ***
Yesterday something really funny happened. I was working on loading the pictures up on the computer and Al was playing with the girls on the floor. He said he was going to change Ilona. Turns out, when he got into the diaper it was quite a messy one. I wasn't paying attention to what was going on until I heard an awful retching noise. I looked over my shoulder and Al was hunched over retching like a cat trying to get rid of a hair ball. I couldn't believe my eyes. He was like a cat with a hair ball. I jumped up and started laughing so hard my knees almost gave out. He kept dry heaving and dry heaving until he got over to the couch on his hands and knees and laid his head on the cushion like he was going to faint. I swear I never laughed so hard in my entire life. I am weeping with laughter just trying to write these words now. Can you believe it? I asked him what he expected, that his girls were so special that they were going to poop out flowers? I guess he is going to have to get over that pretty soon! Really! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed it. Just thought I'd share.

On the flip side, when we were going to sleep last night Al said to me "I have a secret." I asked him what it was and he said "I can't wait to go to sleep so that I can wake up and play with the girls tomorrow." Isn't that sweet?

About the girls:

Maia is really funny. She never cries but does crack up alot. She is starting to eat alot of cereal. We think that the way the orphanage fed them, by adding cereal to the bottle and then propping the bottle has led to her being so small. She doesn't love the bottle and when she does have one she takes her time and likes a slow drip. The bottles the orphanage gave us had huge holes and even a much smaller hole seemed to choke her. She was probably just turning her head away from the bottle to keep from choking in the orphanage and thereby not getting enough food. She is making up for that now. The orphanage gave us a warning in the report telling us how difficult she was to feed and that we'd have to watch her. It was sort of disapproving. I had to laugh because it reminded me of how I found out my doctor had put a similar disapproving note in my file saying that I get mad if I am kept waiting at the doctors office. Ha Ha.

Ilona is a much better bottle eater but hasn't figured out the cereal thing yet. I think she liked having the cereal in the bottle because it was easier than having to figure out how to use her mouth. Last night she started to open up more to us. Al was holding her and I was playing with her and she started letting out huge belly laughs. We hadn't heard this from her yet but the orphanage had said that she had very large laughs. We got a taste of them last night.

Later today I'll load up some misc pictures that haven't gotten loaded up yet. We hope to hit the streets for some shopping today and maybe to the pool.

We probably won't have any official adoption meetings until Friday.

Love to all,
Tina

No comments: