Friday, August 3, 2007

Cyclos






















On Thursday we took a 4 hour tour on cyclos (pronounced sicklow). I was nervous at first, because the traffic here is insane and to be out in the street crossing major intersections, riding on the equivalent of I95 with a baby strapped to your chest seemed a little reckless. However I did relax after we got moving. We went to two different temples which were beautiful. On one of the last legs of the tour I saw a little shack near one of the temples that had a ceremonial outfit on display. I had our guide help me neogtiate the purchase because it was so unbelievably beautiful. Bright red with lots of beads. I really loved the headdress and boots but there was no way we could figure how to bring them on the plane. I did get the robe, which turns out was one that the Buddhist priests wear during some of their ceremonies.





I have a couple of pictures attached.





Oh, one thing about the cyclos... when you are at an intersection you can see the light counting down from green till when it will turn red. 10, 9, 8, 7 etc. As the cyclos do not stop for the lights and just barrel headlong into oncoming traffic this count down is actually quite helpful. It is nice to know the exact moment you are going to die.

1. Al in cyclo with Ilona

2. Cyclos lined up outside of a temple

3. Tina in priest robe






Love Tina

No comments: