Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Why Adoption and Why Vietnam?

Because a number of people have asked us these questions I thought I'd post a quick thought on the matters.

Why adoption? Al and I decided that although we are able to have biological children we would prefer to build our family through adoption. I probably have alot to do with that choice, as I was adopted myself as an infant through Catholic Charities. I had such a wonderful family - my parents were the best in the world - that Al and I wanted to provide a similar experience to a child that might not have a family otherwise.

Why Vietnam? When I was a young child - maybe four years old - my Mom and Dad took me back to the orphanage that I had stayed at as a baby just to show me around. I remember there was one room full of African-American toddlers, running around in white diapers and playing with toys. I remember a beautiful white woman in a fur coat stepping over the baby gate and a little child coming running up to her to hug her. I was very young and being young thought that the woman was going to be adopting the baby. I asked her if she was going to take the baby home and she was sort of embarrassed and told me no, she would not be taking the baby home. The answer wasn't good enough for me and I pestered my parents for the duration of the visit for a reason why the woman wasn't go to adopt the baby. It appeared to me that they loved each other and I couldn't understand why the baby was staying in the orphanage. I remember my Mom gently telling me that most of the time parents wanted to adopt children that looked like them, and that the baby did not look like the woman. I remembered back to the room of toddlers and remembered that they all had dark skin. I remember as clearly as if it was yesterday looking down at my white arm and thinking that if my skin wasn't the color it was I probably wouldn't have my family. This was a scary realization for a little one, and I think somehow in that moment I decided that I when I grew up I'd help give a family to kids that might not otherwise have one. Not to be dramatic or holier than thou... it is just the plain truth.

When we began to exploring adoption our agency told us that Vietnam was begging for families. The country had just opened up again and there were many children that needed homes. So we settled on Vietnam and the rest is history. Ironically, of all children in Vietnam, twins can have a hard time being placed, because of the work and the expense. So we are happy and feel we are blessed to be able to provide a home for our two girls.

No comments: